Friday, July 29, 2011

The Giver of Gifts


God sure is good! I mean, He just never ceases to amaze me with His love and faithfulness. I don’t just mean with the big things either. He takes the time to care even about the tiny things that don’t matter to anyone else but me. For example, during our first two weeks here in Tahiti I was craving pizza like never before! You might be wondering why I didn’t just go get some, but it’s REALLY not that easy to do here in our situation. Anyways, I mentioned this quite a few times in those two weeks. I probably drove my husband crazy because on the Friday at the end of the 2nd week he prayed, “Lord, will you give my wife pizza today!” That night we had a community outreach event at the church and believe it or not, someone brought a pizza!! The following week I was craving chocolate chip cookies. I bought some at the store, but they tasted terrible. That Friday what did someone bring to the community outreach event? Yup, homemade chocolate chip cookies!! This last week I was craving apple pie (I even dreamed about it!). We are at a new location where we are running a weeklong mini-DTS for the youth from the church. They give us a snack everyday (they always offer me seconds “for the baby”) and what did they give us on the first day? That’s right, hot apple turnovers!! His love for me doesn’t end there. Yesterday I was telling Morgan that I wanted some Brazilian churrasco (some salty bbq’d meat) and what did we have for lunch today? Salty barbecued steak, of course! There are tons of other things that have happened like this since we’ve been here and they don’t all have to do with food (that’s just what seems to be on my mind a lot these days….I blame it on Baby!!).
Then there are the big things. A couple of weeks ago we had a baby scare. I had lots of cramping and some bleeding. The moment I saw the blood my heart just stopped. I know this is often normal, but keep in mind this is my first pregnancy and it’s all new to me! So, the American missionary couple that is here (Poi and Lita) came to take me to the nearest hospital. Once there we found out that they weren’t really going to be able to check on the baby because they didn’t even have an ultrasound machine or anything like it. It was a very interesting experience though and worth the visit! The doctor there referred me to the nearest private OBGYN. It took two days to be able to actually see the doctor, but once there he took a look and we saw that Baby was fine. In fact, Baby was moving all over the place in there and it was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen! The thing is, the night before the ultrasound we were having a real struggle with fear over Baby (the rest of the team told me later that they were as well). Morgan and I asked ourselves, “Why are we doing this? Let’s just ask our Father. He knows everything.” We both prayed and I heard, “It’s okay. He’s fine” and Morgan heard, “He’s aliiiiiiiiiive!” This brought us comfort. He was right, of course.
One last thing. Though this outreach has been a bit more challenging than the others (due to the human growing inside of me), I wouldn’t change a thing. I realized the other day that Baby is developing in an environment where prayer and worship are going on all around him/her EVERY SINGLE DAY! It has been prophesied that Baby is going to come out a worshipping warrior. Amen! In addition, Baby is SO loved and well taken care of by the Tahitians. They are always trying to feed me extra food (especially desserts, which I am now having to say no to since we get them twice a day!) and don’t want me to lift a finger. The other night they wouldn’t let me wash dishes because “Baby will be cold.” Oh, and I knew that once someone has a baby people often forget about the parents and it’s all about the baby. What I didn’t realize is that it happens even before the baby is out of the womb! I don’t know how many times I’ve heard, “Not for you, for baby” or “No care about you, for baby.” Funny.
Well, please keep praying that God would continue to pour grace down upon us. We need it! We love and miss you all.

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. So good to hear from you, Lisa! Glad to hear baby is doing fine!

    ReplyDelete