Friday, April 27, 2012

Hearing God's voice part 2:

Once again I want to highlight how to hear God's voice. I am borrowing this from Donna Jordans manual on "Listening to God". Hearing God's voice is basic right of every believer. John 10:3-4 "The sheep listen to His voice. He calls His own sheep by name, and leads them out... and his sheep follow Him because they know His voice". It is very important to have the mindset that 1) He speaks and 2) He wants to speak to you (in fact I believe he is constantly speaking we just aren't plugged in, tuned in, the power is off, and the antenna is down).
It is also important to realize that while listening to God there are other voices out there. I will highlight four voices that you may hear. We must silence three of them in order to get to the Gold.
1) Our own voice:  We must silence or die to our own imaginations, desires, and burdens, giving them to God.
a) 1 Peter 5:7 Cast your burdens on Him because he cares for you.  Come to Jesus and give Him all of your cares, worries, and anxieties.
b) When speaking to a friend we are focused, and our minds are not wandering. Neither should they be when we are listening to God. You must learn to quiet your thoughts, and emotions.
 Prayer: In the name of Jesus I silence my own voice, emotions, and desires help me to hear only you voice! I give you all of my fears, burdens , etc. (be specific, and pray out loud!)

2) The Voice of Others: Parents, teachers, media, friends, but we should only look to others as much as they look to Jesus and His Word. Often times we are asking God what we should do in a situation, and you cannot help but wonder what your friends would think if they saw you do this or that. 
Prayer: In the name of Jesus silence the voice of all others that might ring in my head and try and influence. (Pray outloud)

3) The Voice of the Enemy (Satan):
James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the Devil, and he will flee from you.
The key is to be submitted to God, than you have the authority to resist the devil and to send him packing. Our enemy is a deceiver, but when you here the enemies voice it either 1) Won't line up with scripture.
2) There is a "check" in your spirit.
or 3) It causes you to fear
Satan can quote or misquote scripture in order to get you to act in haste.
Prayer: Lord Jesus I submit myself completely to you. In the name of Jesus I command satan and demon powers to be silent, amen.
4) The voice of God: This is what we need to hear more than anything else. Not just for the answers to our questions, but because it is the relationship that must precede every relationship. As a warning there is  a great responsibility that goes with hearing His voice, ask God for the grace to listen and to obey.
Hearing God's voice is not a gift but a skill. Hearing is all by grace, through faith, and he gives grace to the humble.
Hearing God's voice will change you life, but it will cost something. Seven years ago a huge desire began to grow in me to hear God's voice and to become closer to Him. I began to position myself in a way that I could truly hear His voice. I began praying, reading His word, hanging out with men and women that lived this lifestyle, fasting, and I separated myself from things that held me back. It became my passion. I was so thrilled when I began to recognize His voice. My prayer is for you to hear his voice, but you need to desire it and to go after it.

I will write two or three more posts with 1)the ways God speaks 2) Hindrances to hearing His voice and finally 3) Principles to hearing.
I will leave you with an exercise: 1) Silence the three competing voices in Jesus name (out loud). 2) Tell Jesus that you love him three times, out loud. Did you hear Him respond? What did he say? Trust that the voice you heard was His (unless you heard something creepy). Now tell Him you love Him every morning when you wake up.

Thanks. I truly hope this helps you in walk with Jesus.

Morgan


No comments:

Post a Comment